Donations, future of UAR

Polls positively voted.

What about paid skins and other things ?

If it can lead to more work on UAR, it seems great
71%
No opinion, I don't care
No votes
It will break the game (please tell why)
No votes
Treason ! I call the cops
7%
UAR is just a small free game, you are crazy
No votes
Just proposing that, you break my dreams =(
21%

Total votes: 14

Znimu

Donations, future of UAR

Postby Znimu » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:49 am

Hello,

New poll, concerning the donations.
Always boring to speak about money. But I have repulsed the question for too long, I can't anymore.
This UAR adventure is way bigger and longer than I initially thought. And my work on UAR is slowed by the fact that I would like more and more to build something constructive in my professional life.

I have several choices to work and make money :
- I am a web developper, I have a faithful customer.
- I am an author on a graphic website which sells pictures.
- I can add to UAR rewards to donators, or an other way to earn money from UAR.

Actually, I won't stop any of these 3 activities. But the part I will dedicate to each of them may evolve soon.
I am slowed for a long time, thinking that I should work to make money. And so I just do nothing, instead of working on one of the three possibilities described above. I have fun with UAR, but after 6 months, I think too much to my professional future.

UAR is my adopted baby, and I won't abandon it. But the work I can do on it has now to be decided. I am bored to hesitate and finally do nothing.

So this poll to know what you think about paid skins (camos for an example) for UAR.
If you have other ideas to motivate donations, it interests me of course.

I'd like to avoid to give advantages to donators. Only appearances or things without any impact on the difficulty of the games.
I am aware that some people work on UAR too, helping me. And if it is finally decided, I may partially share the gains, trying to be fair.
I can't say how it can evolve, if people would stop helping me... thinking I earn money. I don't believe that UAR can generate that much money to become a decent job. But I think that it can be improved. I'd like to give it a try.

I have received several donations, with important amounts. Particularly from countries where the euro is high according to the life costs. In my opinion, more donations with lower amounts would be more fair. So to motivate donations in some ways could be interesting.

Please tell me what you think and if you have other ideas. :)

Billyum

Re: Donations, future of UAR

Postby Billyum » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:36 am

One thing that I think would be nice is a "Donor" tag on the forums, Like a different color name tag for people that donate [Red and Green excluded of course]. Cyan, Yellow, or Blue would be my pick, Maybe we could put up another poll.

One issue that could come up with Donor camos is some people might pay money for an ugly/troll camo/decal and then go around saying "Look at my Trump 2016 decal guys!". With some common sense it should be easy to filter out all the bad camos and decals, Though at some point there could be a few that are hard to decide which are accepted and which get denied.

robert

Postby robert » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:54 am

Is there other way I can buy you a beer other that paypal? Unfortunately I renewed my debit card and paypal rejects it.

Kami no Varou

Postby Kami no Varou » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:06 am

Indeed, I don't have a paypal account for I don't use paypal at all - I've had one at some point but I stopped using it, and paypal fees didn't motivate me either - so I think if you want to motivate people to donate, the first thing would be (if possible) to propose an alternative.

Billyum

Postby Billyum » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:38 pm

I spent about half an hour reading the Terms and Conditions for Paypal last night [Yeah, I'm "That Guy"] before getting to the part with the huge list of fees. That's around the time I gave up on the idea.

Znimu

Postby Znimu » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:06 am

Billyum : good idea Billyum, I will add this category of users.
I think that I have read some times ago the policy of Paypal. There is annoying parts indeed. But the donator doesn't pay any fee, I pay them from the amount donated (3,4% + 0,70 euros per donation).

I think that you worry because of the now ugly 2016 camo. It is quite hard to draw a decent but not that good camo. Beeing a free camo, it should not be better than the unlocked camos, but it has to be nice anyways. I failed the second point. I may rework it.

I will never put stupid and awful camos. Any suggestions are accepted, but I won't put a camo just because someone told me that he would pay for it, not if I find that it doesn't fit UAR. As usual, your feedbacks count a lot too, particularly if you think that I am going a wrong way. Even if I am stubborn like a corsica mule. :gene:

------

About alternatives, I am studying the question. Paypal is from far the easiest way to receive donations, but there is alternatives indeed. I will first ask to my bank if they have solutions.

------

More practically, I may indicate amounts of donation for each skin. So you won't have to ask yourself for hours how much you should donate. You would just find something which pleases you, check if the amount is OK (please remember that the donation would not be to buy the skin, but to support me, receiving a bonus), and donate if you decide to do it.

JaVa

Postby JaVa » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:29 am

After thinking about it for a longer time, I am generally fine with this idea as long as it does not break the game balance. If there would be opportunity to buy minigun+OPA+Lifties for your starting hero or to buy a Hitman hero, then it would not be acceptable. But if you want players to pay for cammo and other non-essential stuff, it is OK - why not.
Maybe even some new classes might be like this but this is again provided that they are not essential, like a medic. E.g. new DPS character that can be substitued by other existing one.

Apart from that, I should send you 1,000 0.01EUR donations, given the fees you pay:-D

Last but not least - I personally prefer to do some work on Wikis and other stuff rather than pay money, but it is hard measurable work, so money is still OK:)
a.k.a. Akira

Znimu

Postby Znimu » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:28 pm

JaVa wrote:After thinking about it for a longer time, I am generally fine with this idea as long as it does not break the game balance. If there would be opportunity to buy minigun+OPA+Lifties for your starting hero or to buy a Hitman hero, then it would not be acceptable. But if you want players to pay for cammo and other non-essential stuff, it is OK - why not.
Maybe even some new classes might be like this but this is again provided that they are not essential, like a medic. E.g. new DPS character that can be substitued by other existing one.

It is the spirit, I will never transform UAR into a pay to win. Not sure for classes. I initially think about camos.

JaVa wrote:Apart from that, I should send you 1,000 0.01EUR donations, given the fees you pay:-D

Hehe no, 0.01 - 0.70 = -0.69EUR, I would have to pay xD

JaVa wrote:Last but not least - I personally prefer to do some work on Wikis and other stuff rather than pay money, but it is hard measurable work, so money is still OK:)

Your work on the Wiki is appreciated, and as you say hardly measurable.
Anyways there will never have any obligation. It remains donations, so up to you to decide if you should or not.
I could even consider to unlock some of these bonus stuff for people helping me working on UAR in some ways. :)

Kami no Varou

Postby Kami no Varou » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:10 pm

Aren't you breaking Blizzard chart by doing that ? Not that I really care, just asking

Znimu

Postby Znimu » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:13 pm

I have asked them if I can. The game master told me he transfers the question to the marketing department. I still have no answer.
So I guess that either they are in vacations, or they do'nt care at all.

In an other hand, I know a quite popular map who already does it : Entropy TD.

Return to “Done”