New class : the Prototype

General announcements about UAR.
Znimu

New class : the Prototype

Postby Znimu » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:37 am

Hello,

Work in progress, new class : the prototype.
Not yet fully implemented, and will need balance tests.

Unlocked for same conditions than the cyborg, but requires 3 medals (any of them).

MOS : 18P
Role : Prototype
Prototypes are an experimental addition to the military.
They are designed to survive in extreme conditions.

Abilities (work in progress) :
- Deflector Shield :
  • Activates a deflector shield specially built into your suit for 10s.
    The deflector shield absorbs damage taken in the limit of his amount of shield.
    The shield is regenerated after each damage taken.
    Each damage allows the suit to generate 5 energy. Can't get more energy than the max energy of the prototype.
  • Level 1 - 20 shields
  • Level 2 - 25 shields
  • Level 3 - 30 shields
  • Level 4 - 35 shields
- T.R.O.L. Protocol (Temporary Regenerative Operation Laying) :
  • Heals each seconds the prototype, using energy. Has luck to remove any ailment each heal, this cure capacity increases with the lvl of T.R.O.L. Protocol.
    The prototype can't do anything during this process as he is in an advanced state of hibernation.
    Can be used during the magnetic shield, attacks and damages won't interrupt this protocol.
- Magnetic shield :
  • Deploys a magnetic shield around the prototype. The prototype will suffer the damages recieved by any ally inside the shield, keeping them safe.
    This shield will automatically desactivate itself if the life of the Prototype reaches 0, it can't kill the Prototype.
- Energy Transfert :
  • The prototype uses his own energy to generate energy in the suit of his target.

Znimu

Re: New class : the Prototype

Postby Znimu » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:39 pm

I think to give to the prototype the same "Strength" capacity than the cyborg, but I have to find 2 others passive capacities instead of "Agility" and "Stealth". Need something survivability oriented and maybe an other one offensive.

Suggestions appreciated.

Znimu

Postby Znimu » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Well it will be Strenght, Titanium Skeleton and Cybernetics.
Not sure about Energetic, I may change the name but the concept is here.

These three stances are done.

I still need to find an ability to replace the rockets of the cyborg. Maybe an offensive ability, like a kind of storm around the Prototype.

Znimu

Postby Znimu » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:18 pm

Cybernetics : done / need balance
Strength : done
Titanium Skeleton : done / need balance

Deflector Shield : done / need balance
T.R.O.L. Protocol : done / need balance

To do / decide :
Energy Transfert :
Magnetic Shield :
Last Ability (offensive around the Prototype) :
Secondary abilities (life flares, cam, etc.) :

Znimu

Postby Znimu » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:46 am

During my tests, I noticed that the prototype can't be a full tank. The gameplay would be too difficult and frustrating. The prototype needs offensive capacities.
I am currently thinking about a rebuild of it.

Billyum

Postby Billyum » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:32 am

Whenever I work on an idea for a new MOS I ask myself a few questions about how it will effect game play.

1. What is this MOS's role/roles? [dps, support, AoE, ect.]

2. What skills will make this MOS unique?

3. How do I want this MOS to preform compared to other MOSs of the same role?

4. Will this MOS eclipse or be eclipsed by other MOSs, If so how can I change it? [e.g someone not picking flamethrower in a nightmare game because jav gunner has AT rockets and para traps.]

5. What builds would players likely use if they picked this MOS?

6. What Unit portrait and unit quotes would fit this MOS best? [basically esthetics]

I hope this helps you with your idea, I'll begin posting some of my MOS ideas too.

Znimu

Postby Znimu » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:17 am

Yes I agree that I should use a methodology, thanks for this.

I just ran into the build of the Prototype, in a sort of frenesy, happy to create abilities. And after a test, I realized that it needs way more reflections. Then I realized that there was to many bugs to fix each day to have time to think about it for now.

The principle of the Prototype is to be able to protect other soldiers or civilians, convoy, ... But if he can only protect, he is useless in most cases. I have to think about it and balance him.

Billyum

Postby Billyum » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:38 pm

Perhaps he could be a dps/support hybrid or tank/support depending on the build?

One thing that is coming to mind is a tree that is force field related, [Force field, guardian shield, Defensive matrix].

And perhaps one that is focused on regen, [TROL protocol, deflector shield, ect].

Probably two trees for dps, [agility and suppress counterparts more or less].

Then maybe a tree for health/energy transfer like skills, [energy transfer, medical nanite transfer, an Immolation or damage reflect skill?].

Just throwing ideas out, I like the concept of an MOS focused on protecting team mates [As I play medic a lot].

Znimu

Postby Znimu » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:00 am

Yes I had thought to the full protect combo :
Magnetic Shield + Deflector Field + TROL
So the prototype would protect the near soldiers and civilians with the Magnetic Shield taking the damage for them, while absorbing damage with his Deflector Shield and regenerating with the TROL protocol. The TROL Protocol can be disable / enable at will but the Prototype can't do anything while it is activated.

There is too the combo with :
Deflector Shield + energy transfert
Not really a combo in every situations, more kind of completing abilities : the Prototype should be able to regenerate his energy, so he could transfert energy to the other soldiers quite frequently. Maybe I should add a kind of emergency battery skill to him (which would be given with a level to be determined of Cybernetics, and would give an amount of energy, with an appropriate cooldown), because if he transfers all his energy to an other soldier, he would be unable to use anything like the deflector shield to regenerate his energy.

The part to fix are imo :
- The Titanium Skeleton stance : what I did is to much near the Strength stance as it is defense oriented (bad idea to give 2 different defensive stances in my opinion), so I may change the Titanium Skeleton to a move oriented stance (maybe allowing big jumps, still bigger than the jump of the cyborg, or maybe kind of teleport), so he would be able to go quickly to defend other soldiers / civilians, or to escape quickly too if he can't defend anymore without dying, as the Magnetic Shield will possibly lead him to be very low life.
The difficulty may be to not build a class unkillable by the undeads if the player only runs, while allowing the Prototype to defend. I may should add slow effect to some capacities. No clue yet.

- I have to think about the offensive possibility of the Prototype, could be indeed support oriented, but he needs somethings not fully defense oriented ; no idea yet if offensive skills around him would be fine, or if he better needs offensive ability with bigger range. However I had thought to a kind of smoke grenade channeled around the prototype (kind of smoke screen around him, and following him), while making the Prototype immune to any slow from smoke grenades and from this smoke screen (passive X ray vision or something, given whith a level of Cybernetics). Maybe with a burn aura skill or something in addition it could be interesting (an additionnal skill which could be cast in addition to the smoke screen) ?
But have to remember that the Prototype uses automatic rifles, which are supposed to be powerfull : I am not sure but maybe he would need something to improve his capacity with his auto rifle.

- Maybe replace the Strength stance I had kept from the cyborg by something else. Anyways it would be the defensive stance.

Quite complicated, isn't it ? what do you think about all that ?

Billyum

Postby Billyum » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:23 pm

I'm not sure if I'm putting too much realism into this, But the magnetic shield just seems weird to me. I find myself thinking "Okay so I turn on this shield then someone nearby gets hit and the damage is teleported to me". I'm sure that it's more realistic than the Flamethrower's grav nade, Though I just don't get that "yeah a scientist somewhere would invent this" feeling.

As far as the prototype's dps goes, because it is so close to the cyborg there will need to be a reason for picking both classes [If the prototype has the cyborg's dps, mobility, and range then there won't be a reason to pick cyborg]. Between the three I think mobility would need to be cut, [He uses a light machine gun so having too many short range dps skills wouldn't make sense]. While cyborg has amazing early game dps, Late game his dps starts to fall behind even with VT, [So cutting dps probably wouldn't be a good idea]. I think having the cyborg's super jump would be fine, maybe a little less move speed buffs.

One thing that is common to all dps classes is that they have passives that increase their "basic" dps, And then at least one active skill that massively increases burst dps for killing bosses and other high priority targets quickly. A copy paste of agility and suppress probably wouldn't be the best way to go, possibly give him something like 37.5% chance to deal 2x crit [mathematically the same as 25% chance to deal 3x damage and 12.5% chance to deal 6 times damage, though more consistent (possibly op, numbers might need to be reworked)].

For the energy regen skill maybe another skill like TROL protocol that regens energy instead of hp?

Also, Deflector shield may be op in PMC mode. As many of the pmcs attack quickly with fairly low damage per hit.

Return to “Announcements”