Difficulty modes

Tell me what you think about UAR.
Znimu

Difficulty modes

Postby Znimu » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:42 am

Hello,

I'd like to know what you think about the difficulty modes.
Personnaly I have never won better that the "normal" mode. So I can't even imagine the Nightmare mode.

What do you think about it ? Should the difficulty of some modes be lowered ? Or would it break the challenges / fun for some players ?

Neax

Re: Difficulty modes

Postby Neax » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:20 pm

Does the difficulty change on the number of players ingame? So do more/harder zombies spawn when all slots are filled compared to only 4 players on normal? That would be good to know.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
"It is not necesssary to understand things in order to argue about them."
Internet in a Nutshell.

Znimu

Postby Znimu » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:01 pm

The number of most spawned zombies increases with the number of players. But not for every kind of zombies.
It increases too with the XP of very experienced players but it requires much XP to increase.
And it increases too with the difficulty chosen.

When a player leaves the game, the number of these concerned spawned zombies is reduced.

However the Survival mode has additionnal specific spawns not based on anything.

It could need some balance, I already thought about it. But have to keep in mind that bosses are easier to kill with more players.

Billyum

Postby Billyum » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:29 am

Znimu wrote:Hello,

I'd like to know what you think about the difficulty modes.
Personnaly I have never won better that the "normal" mode. So I can't even imagine the Nightmare mode.

What do you think about it ? Should the difficulty of some modes be lowered ? Or would it break the challenges / fun for some players ?

I had about 68ish nightmare wins in UA3, At first when the two main clans [ZES and AUC] were trying to beat nightmare most of them felt that the game was really hard and it gave them a reason to try and beat it. They would say things like "Illidan doesn't want people to beat his game, So he keeps making it harder". Our clans would often team up to try and beat nightmare and after a while we started having success. We would stay up late into the night talking about class builds, MOS compositions, And ways to better position for difficult missions. We soon had the metagame nearly perfected and won nightmare mode about 90% of the time. Then PMC -rifle mode became our main focus, It was the next "mode that couldn't be beaten". We played many games and only won a handful of them [mostly because of the tanks and the timestops at the end]. We were starting to get close on working out those last few missions until people started getting tired of the campfest that was PMC mode.

By this point Illidan had long stopped updating the game, And soon after Drsupergood made a few patches that were mostly bug fixes and reducing lag. Though the few balance changes that he did make made the veteran players very upset. First off was the Jav gunner getting buffed [An MOS that was already so powerful that every nightmare game had two of them]. The second and by far the most gamebreaking was the SFAAT rally point.

The SFAAT rally point was so powerful that we were now able to do Nightmare Thalim guards, Meaning that we could defend the civs in Thalim while having a small team do the missions. Because of the rally point most of the zombies would attack Thalim [Where most of our team was waiting with overwhelming firepower]. This made it so five people would be enough to do the missions [a Medic, Ghost, dps Rifleman, dps Cyborg, and a Jav gunner] as they faced much less resistance than in an average nightmare game. Most Nightmare Thalim guards earned between 2.4k exp and 2.8k exp [Though a few got far less because in some of the games people thought they didn't need to follow the role call, meaning terrible MOS composition]. What made it even more game breaking was that doing a Nightmare Thalim guard was easier than an average nightmare game [Because the rally point was just that OP].

I would go so far as to say that the SFAAT rally point was the single biggest reason why players didn't switch over to UA3 2015 when UA3 died. Long story short [Sorry about the wall of text], The game being made too easy took away the challenge for the veteran players. The community for Undead Assault in EU is much smaller than in North America [Most of the players I see have 0 exp and don't know much about the game]. This means that a community will have to be built from scratch [meaning increasing the difficulty now might not be a good idea]. Once there are enough experienced people playing UAR the difficulty will need to be slowly increased.

Znimu

Postby Znimu » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:14 am

Thanks for your point of view and all this information.
I was not suspecting that at all, I have never really played UA3 in teams, only few times.

I was not sure about the down of the SFAAT. I knew it would change the balance, and now I think that you are right. His balance is needed but maybe not now.

To my known, the best mode achieved on UAR for now is Hard.
But I have not that many feedbacks. I often have to play to get feedbacks directly from players in game. Like with refugees, nobody told me that only the first wave was working fine (so I thougth I had fixed it :gene: ).

I try to take care of new players, I have made several changes / downs of the difficulty in Recruit. I am building a tutorial for them too.

Znimu

Postby Znimu » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:10 pm

Concerning the updates from DrSuperGood to reduce the lags, it is possible that some of them are missing in my version. However I did not see any lags right now, but as my computer is quite powerfull, I invite you to report me (precising when) if any of you got lags somewhere.

Billyum

Postby Billyum » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:51 am

Znimu wrote:Concerning the updates from DrSuperGood to reduce the lags, it is possible that some of them are missing in my version. However I did not see any lags right now, but as my computer is quite powerfull, I invite you to report me (precising when) if any of you got lags somewhere.

Even back when I had my super old computer and my router that constantly overheated I rarely got lag, I think that the changes he made were mostly for people that just had really really bad computers. My friend SlightlyOff knows a lot more about those changes than I do so if you see him he would be the best one to ask.

Znimu

Postby Znimu » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:34 pm

OK thanks for the information. I may speak to him if someone reports me lags in specific events.

JaVa

Postby JaVa » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:42 pm

I personally like it as it is - it is hard to beat a hard mode. Even with a good team. Average team can do normal and half average half noob team can do recruit. In all cases, cooperation is required.
Insane and nightmare should require teams of pros who decide their roles in advance and who know the game.
a.k.a. Akira

Znimu

Postby Znimu » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:46 am

Yes, I don't think that I will change the difficulties for now.
Except with the rework of the SFAAT of course.

Return to “Feedback”